Friday, October 9, 2009

Facing your fears

No matter what causes us anxiety, we know we will have to face it one day. Yeah, I know... Blah. Personally, throwing up is what gives me the heebie-jeebies. When I think about it, see it, hear it, or see or hear anything like it I start shaking, my palms get sweaty, and I feel all hot and light-headed. Everyday I probably worry about it at least once.
Even last night watching probably my favorite show, The Office. In the first scene, Pam throws up, Andy throws up, then just about everyone else in the office throws up and I freak out... yet, of course, can't look away from the screen. It's almost humorous how no matter where I go, vomit always seems to find me... though, I haven't thrown up since 2nd or 3rd grade. That's probably why it scares me such much. I forget what it feels like. I mean, obviously it's unpleasant but, I think I make it out to be a lot worse than it is. That's really all OCD is. It's distortion of the truth in a way that makes us freak out.
So anyway, my counseling homework is to find three videos of people throwing up. Which means I have to watch them!... Blah! It seems like I'll never not be afraid of throwing up and in a way that's kind of true. I will probably never completely get over it. Nevertheless, I hope I at least mostly overcome it. I guess what I'm trying to say is... OCD's rough. but the way to overcome your fears, is by facing them.

No comments:

Post a Comment