Sunday, July 26, 2009

Focus!

Bree! Focus! Come on! Look me in the eye!

FOCUS

I don't know if it's Obsessive Compulsive Disorder or what... But I know there is something incredible beneath my skin that makes it impossible to concentrate at times.
Focus comes easy to most people. But when focusing is tough for you it can be really hard just to accomplish everyday tasks. Even going to bed, or getting ready for school can be a disaster. I have had days where I stay up till midnight trying to finish the math homework I started 4 hours ago. It's really stressful and it makes you feel like...basically crap, mentally, physically, and all other ways-ically.

Today, I was especially reminded of my trouble of focusing while I was at church. My thoughts would not only wander to different worlds but would also interrupt my prayer and reflection. I would picture and think things that I really didn't want to think about. I became so obsessed with trying not to think these thoughts that I would completely miss what the readers or priest was talking about. What was supposed to be a pleasant and holy hour turned into a mental roller coaster. Walking out of church, I didn't feel happy and accomplished like most people would. I felt guilty and mad at myself, like I should just turn around and march right back in for another mass.

This kind focus trouble I can definitely say is OCD, because it is the same stress anxiety, and interfering thoughts that brought me to the wonderful road of Scrupulosity. Yeah.... Don't take that road... Not fun.
But there are other kinds of focus trouble. Maybe you just have something on your mind or an anxiety you can't stop thinking about. Sometimes we have trouble focusing when were doing something we don't want to do, like math homework :)

If you're having trouble focusing, these are a couple things you can do.

-Chewing gum really helps because it keeps your mind busy. (Which of course I can't do because of jaw problems.)

-
Take short, frequent breaks. (Drink a glass of water, Doodle, Eat something) But, make sure it's a short break. Not procrastination! :)

-
Taking omega-3 fish oil. It is proven to help children with disorders such as ADD, ADHD, and OCD. It also all-around help your brain. Plus it helps prevent the three most common kinds of cancer.

- Caffeine is good, but not always the healthiest choice. It's also addictive.

- Mints!

- Exercising! Even if it's just some push-ups or jumping jacks, it helps! And it makes you feel good!.

- Getting enough Sleep. To get A's you need Zzzzz.

No comments:

Post a Comment